The MOA


I have been a student at BYU for years now, and not once have I gone to the Museum of Art that is on campus. There have been many exhibits that I have wanted to see at the MOA, but I never had the time  to go or I had some other excuse. I finally decided this spring, as I was making my summer to do list, that I needed to go there before I graduate. So today Clayton and I finally went to the museum. 


The "Sacred Gifts" exhibit was extended for two weeks, giving us the chance to check it out. We first watched a movie about how valuable all the art work is, and what a big deal it is that the pieces were allowed to be borrowed by BYU. Most of them came from Cathedrals in Germany, Denmark, and Sweden. They were all depictions of Christ in various stages of his life. We rented ipads, which had summaries, historical context, music soundtracks, and clips of people talking about the significance of each individual painting. It was pretty cool.


At the end we were so inspired by that art work that we donated money to bring home a copy of my favorite piece. It is now sitting in a frame on my kitchen table, and I love it. I love the colors, the emotions in the faces, the soft brush strokes, and everything else about it. The name of the painting is "Agony in the Garden" by Fran Schwartz. 


I can now cross the MOA off of my summer bucket list. Here is what is remaining:

1. Learn to make artisan bread from Sarah Kay
2. Compile my own cookbook of favorite recipes
3. Learn to shoot a gun
4. Go white water rafting
5. Get an awesome tan
6. Build running distance to 6 miles
7. Go to a concert
8. Visit the BYU Art Museum 
9. Go on a weekend getaway to Park City
10. Take Clayton country dancing, salsa dancing, and blues dancing.


Comments

  1. I saw this exhibit with dad and holly back in December, and that painting was my favorite as well! I loved the whole thing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Kindergarten

To Kathy